Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Hanging Hungs

Just a quick update in response to Maklongnya Bedah
------------------------------------------------

I've framed and put up the two Hungs on my walls last week.

As I had expected, the frames actually cost more than the paintings *hiks, but the real hassle was in putting them up.

As most people who had bought houses in the last 10 years or so would know, the walls are more sand than cement instead of the other way around.

And these frame paintings do have a considerable weight.

So just knocking in some nails in the wall* won't do - you'll have to measure carefully, drill the holes and then hit wooden wall plugs into each hole to strengthen them.

*An old riddle - what's always better than a nail in the wall?

All of which would take a considerable amount of time and energy.

And some French oaths as well.

But it's always worth the effort.

Especially when you have chosen your display spots well and thus, when you're done, able to sit back and enjoy the paintings in all their glory.


So dear all (and especially Maklongnya Bedah), I'm proud to present to you ... the Hungs at the Cipans'.







A dash of reds and blacks to warm up the dining area.



















And some evocative browns to add a thoughtful tone to the living room.

19 comments:

the plagiarist said...

keropok on a sofa is slowly but surely turning into Casa Impian bersama Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk.

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

plague,

I must confess there's some truth in that ... most of the house decor was conceptualised and planned by yours truly.

*hangs head in shame

Didi G said...

Didn't know you're quite so metrosexual.

Maklongnya Bedah said...

didi: yeah.. habislah roadie taleh carik makan macam nih. haha.

anyhoo, thanks for putting up the piccas of those paintings. my fav is the one in black, white & red. schweet!

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

didi,

Not really a metrosexual, more of a dabbler in many things.

Er, you planning to makeover your house or maybe just your bedroom?

:P


maklongnya bedah,

You're welcome ... Hung has another black-white-red (and bits of yellow) that I liked also - it's called City by the River.

If you book a ticket (Leen pun nak pergi, I think) and find Hung's stall there, maybe it'll still be available.

Didi G said...

what are the names of the two paintings you bought?

Maklongnya Bedah said...

sir cipan

i'll be jobless soon. so dun think i'd be able to visit hung anytime soon. perhaps next year? :)

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

didi,

The red-and-white is Boat on a River.

The brown is (I think la, tak hengat) The Land in My Blood, or something like that.

Very Vietnamese, always referring to the War.

Maklong,

Ah ... kena VSS ke? Bayar la zakat sikit, gi Saigon ... *hiks.

Leen AshBurn said...

I fink the paintings you bought me is cantik-er than the ones in Bali. Kat bali macam tak banyak choice. Then again, it was too hot, tak kuasa nak carik gerai banyak2. Which reminds me, I still need to mount the painting I brought hiks.

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

leen,

I'd have another two or three paintings there if I had the wallspace for them.

I'm a sucker for pretty things ... *coughs

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

I'd have bought ... I mean.

Maklongnya Bedah said...

so paintings yg lain tu bila nak post picca nya jugek? wahh.. motif byk sangat permintaan? :P

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

maklong,

Alaaa ... these Hungs are my first canvas originals.

Yang lain, two reproductions - 1,000pc Japanese-made jigsaw puzzles of Van Gogh's Sunflowers and something by Thomas Kinkladze (spell?).

The jigsaw pattern on the Van Gogh makes it look like a canvas from six feet away *hehe.

Anyways my framemaker also buys some artwork from China and HK. He showed me a nice one the other day.

Am still mulling over it - artist name unknown, tu yang boring tu.

Maklongnya Bedah said...

despite your short essay above, u still haven't answered my question, sir cipan.

pic yg lain2 tanak post jugek ke? regardless la reproductions ke idak. am fast becoming a photo/picca/painting ho yo! :D

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

maklong,

I don't think I want to la. Have to keep low profile, mah ... am aonymous blogger wot?

snots said...

u might want to consider taking a trip to jogja and solo if u want superb paintings done by local artists. U can get batik arts in all its glorious forms in jogja, and solo is famous for its oil paintings and artworks. My fave indonesian local artist would be Hari Agung and Sumantri. Superb brush strokes and techniques. Murah je. Got mine for less than 100 each, and the size varies from 4' x 2' to 6' x 4'. But since you love abstract design, you might want to consider exploring Chiang Mai. (wah panjang!). Itu sajork.

Maklongnya Bedah said...

it has been 3 months. update already laaa

Rt Hon Sir Cipan Nougat-Tenuk said...

snots,

Yes, I will but I'm told by frens who travel alot that the Viets are better value for money.

maklong,

Anything for you *hiks. Dah hapdate dah pung.

Selamat Hari Raya ...